If you would like to ask me for a letter of recommendation, make sure I know you well enough and I have a very positive opinion about your work,
learning and demonstrated responsibility.
In order to write an accurate and complete letter of recommendation I need at least two weeks, essentially at least two weekends.
Plan accordingly and inform me about your request at least two weeks before the letter is due.
First meet me in person to ask whether I will recommend you.
If I agree to write the letter of recommendation, prepare the following information:
- How many letters I will need to send
- Whether I will mail hard copies, upload to a website electronically the letter, or send an email with the letter.
- If I have to upload or send the letter via email, inform me about the accepted format of the document
- Complete and accurate mailing addresses, website addresses, electronic mailing addresses.
- Information about the program you are applying to. Include websites if available so that I can learn more about the program.
- Your long-term goals after you graduate from Drury.
- How will the particular program help you achieve your long-term goals.
- Why should you be accepted to the program you are applying for?
In the letter of recommendation I will do my best to accurately assess your suitability for the program you are applying for.
I will include information regarding:
- academic ability to study/work in the program you are applying for
- readiness for the rigors of advanced academic study or research
- research skills
- responsibility, reliability, and dependability
- group work and social skills
- evidence of overcoming adversity, rising to challenges, perseverance
- oral and written communication skills
- service orientation
- capacity for improvement
- ethical responsibility
- my evaluation for the possibility of your success in the program you are applying for
For medical school applications I will follow their recommendations.
Letters of recommendation are very important letters and this is why I will send all letters directly to the address you provide me with.
Due to the importance of these letters, I am unable to give any letter of recommendation to students.
Finally, you will have to waive your right to inspect my letter of recommendation.